Customised Sega Saturn Boxes


Pretty flimsy
Recently, I was rummaging around my game collection and I found a bunch of demo discs for the Sega Saturn.  I wanted to put them on my shelf along with the rest of my game collection, but they were contained in small flimsy plastic envelops, which could easily be lost (and I do not want to lose them a second time).

So, I was feeling really geeky one day and decided to create DVD cases for them.  This meant that I would have less chance of losing them (again) and I could display them on the shelf along with the rest of my game collection.

I created three DVD cases for the demo discs.  All I did was use Google to search for images, copied the images into a Photoshop document, printed them out on photo quality paper and inserted them into some cheap empty DVD cases.

Below are the final versions of the DVD cases, they are not very professional, but I am satisfied enough with how they turned out:


The first case contains around three discs and playable demos include games such as; Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter II, Golden Axe: The Duel, Clockwork Knight, Wipeout 2097 and Panzar Dragoon II.

The second DVD case:


The second DVD case also contains around three discs and playable demos include; Alien Trilogy, Loaded and Tomb Raider (again).

The third case:


The third and final DVD case also holds around three discs.  The playable demos include; Die Hard Arcade, Virtua On and Daytona U.S.A Champion Circuit Edition.

After re-discovering the demo discs, I gave them a little play and it reminded me of some of the games I intended to purchase way back in 1997/98ish.  I did not purchase some of the games I enjoyed playing in the above demo discs because I decided to sell my Sega Saturn to help towards buying one of those, at the time, new Sony PlayStation machines.

Final Fantasy VII and Tomb Raider II were the main reasons I decided to sell my Saturn and buy a PlayStation.  I always did regret selling my Saturn, but around 2003 I joined eBay and re-bought a Saturn with most of my games (only about 10 in total).  I never did buy all the games I was looking forward too on the Sega Saturn, but finding my old demo discs reminded me of this fact.  It looks like; I will be scouring eBay to finally play all those games that I missed out on when they were originally released.

I also decided to create a DVD box for my copy of 'Christmas Nights into Dreams.'  The reason I did this was because the original case that the game came in was small and rather flimsy.  Just like the demo discs, I thought the Christmas Nights into Dreams case could easily become damaged or lost.  This is the original game case:

I printed out the US artwork (at least, I think it is the US version of the artwork) and used it as the cover in my DVD case:



Now I can display it on my shelf and hopefully not have to worry about misplacing one of my most beloved items in my collection.  I keep the original case in the new DVD case (where an instruction manual would normally be) as I do not want to lose that either.

All in all, I had lot of free time that day, but in the end I am glad that I 'created' the cases.

Comments

Popular Posts