Battling the Backlog 2024 - July

Another month attempting to battle the backlog. Did I complete a good number of my backlog in July 2024 or was I too busy with more important day to day issues?

Games Mentioned:

  • The Tartarus Key 
  •  Darksiders II 
  • Water Margin: A Tale of Clouds and Wind 
  •  Darksiders: Genesis 
  •  Injustice: Gods Among Us 
  •  A Little Golf Journey 
  •  Injustice 2 
  •  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge 
  •  Tomb Raider Level Editor: Baalul's Hollow 
  •  The Darkside Detective: A Fumble in the Dark 
  •  Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night 
  •  Republique

Completed on 2nd July

Played on PS5 via PS4 Backwards Compatibility

This was a strange one - I kind of liked it but I kind of despised it at the same time.

It has some interesting PS1 style graphics.

The game is very puzzle heavy and does not have any enemies.

There are a number of Escape Room type puzzles and at first I really enjoyed them but after time the puzzles felt rather obtuse and I wanted to just know what happened in the story rather than keep solving puzzles.

There is some odd dialogue at times from the characters as well. 

6/10

Completed on 7th July

Darksiders III

Played on PS5 via PS4 Backwards Compatibility

I was a big fan of Darksiders 1 and 2 when they came out and with the whole financial difficulties of THQ I thought we would never see another sequel from the original team. Around a decade later the third game in franchise about the four horsemen was released. When I read it was to take inspiration from the Souls like genre I was massively disappointed and I never bought the sequel on release. 

I have nothing against Dark Souls type of games but I am not really a fan of them and I hoped that Darksiders 3 would be more of a hack en slash like the previous games. Recently, I saw that an online retailer was selling new copies of the game for around £4.00 so I thought I might as well try and see how I fair at the game for that low price.

Darksiders III Trailer


Thankfully, for me, the Dark Souls aspect could be dialled back a little and their was an option to make the combat be more hack en slash like the original games although the boss battles did seem to retain the Dark Souls inspiration even with the option selected.

The further and further I progressed into the game the more I felt I was enjoying my time with Darksiders III and I regret not giving the game a chance when it first came out. In many ways the game felt like a return to the original Darksiders formula which very heavily inspired by the Legend of Zelda series.

Overall the game had elements of Zelda, light Metroidvania with a touch of Dark Souls and later on in the game when I could switch between forms to navigate the environments and had I little bit of flashbacks to the classic PlayStation 2 adventure Primal.

8.5/10

Highlighted Track: The Submerged Realm


Completed on 10th July 

Water Margin: A Tale of Clouds and Wind

Played on PC

This game was included in the Evercade Piko Interactive Collection 1 and most of the other games included did not seem that interesting. So instead of spending £17.99 on essentially one game I wanted to play (which was Water Margin) I bought the GOG version and the summer sale was happening so I only spend £2 on the DRM free digital version.

Note: I do not actually own an Evercade Console yet, but I plan to pre order the newest version of the console which is bundled with the first three classic Tomb Raider games. I also bought the first Duke Nukem collection that had the remastered versions of the first and second Duke Nukem games that were previously released as DOS games on the PC - at the time of writing I believe the Evercade versions are the only way to play the Duke remastered games.

I believe Water Margin was released on the Megadrive console as an unlicensed title and was only sold in Taiwan. Piko ended up owning the game and created a more legal version of the game that is now on different platforms like Steam, GOG and the Evercade console.

It was a fine scrolling beat em up but not anything as quality as Streets of Rage/Final Fight or Golden Axe. I have played a number of side scrolling beat em ups on Antstream (a streaming service where you can play some retro games for free with the option of a subscription) and Water Margin was better than most of the side scrolling beat em ups that are currently on Antstream. 

The game takes around 1 hour and 30 minutes.

6/10

Completed on 12th July 

Darksiders: Genesis

Played on PS5 via PS4 Backwards Compatibility

Darksiders Genesis is both a slight disappointment in the Darksiders series and a fun game at the same time.

It is slightly disappointing because it is not a third person game like the previous three entries but it takes an isometric view and feels like those spin off Tomb Raider games: Lara Croft The Guardian of Light and The Temple of Osiris.

Darksiders Genesis does not continue the story of the previous games, but is instead a prequel spin off title. Similar to Darksiders III I found the longer I progressed the more I started to enjoy it. Like the previous Darksiders titles you gain skills that can be used to solve environmental puzzles, but this time in an isometric view. Two of the Horsemen are playable - Fury from Darksiders III and Strife who has never yet had his own Darksiders game.

The Darksiders series is about the four Horsemen (or the developers versions) and all but one have had their own game. Darksiders 1 stared War, Darksides II stared Death, Darksiders III stared Fury and the final horseman Strife makes his debut in Darksiders Genesis.

What I like about the Darksiders first three games is you control one of the Horsemen for each game and the story events parallel each other so each game is taking place at the same time but you get to see the different perspectives of each Horsemen. 

It is good that Darksiders Genesis finally lets us play as the fourth Horseman but it would be nice have another third person game where Strife is the main character and we can see his perspective of the story that has played out in the three previous Darksiders titles.

7/10

Highlighted Track: Main Theme


Completed on 14th July

Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition

Played on PS5 via PS4 Backwards Compatibility

I am not exactly a huge fan of the fighting genre and I am not a huge fan of comic books. So I decided to purchase a game (for as high as £6.00) that combined both the fighting genre and comic book characters.

The most of my knowledge about comic book heroes and villains comes from the odd superhero movie or game I have consumed in the past.

Announcement Trailer

In the last few years I have tried and enjoyed some beat em up fighting games and since Mortal Kombat started introducing story modes I have become more interested in playing the odd fighter. I played Mortal Kombat vs DC in the past and enjoyed it, so I thought I would give Injustice a chance  - after all it is from the same developers of the Mortal Kombat series.

The story mode was my main reasoning for wanting to try Injustice and it was an interesting experience. I probably spend 2 hours and 30 minutes with the story mode and it was certainly over the top stuff. I like the aspect of alternate realties with villain and superheroes playing reverse roles. 

Overall it was a fun over the top Beat Em Up, but to me not quite as fun as others in the genre such as Dead or Alive or Tekken - remember, I am not a huge fan of the genre so other more skilled fighters may love this game a lot more than I do. Still, it does have some many great moments that make me want to revisit every so often for a couple rounds of superhero battling.

7/10

Retired on 20th July




When I joined Amazon Prime for a free trial A Little Golf Journey was featured on Luna as part of Amazon Prime and it is a game that just so happens to be in my Steam Wishlist. Luna is a streaming service for a games and I will only have access to the game while my Amazon Prime subscription lasts.  As it is a game that is on my radar I thought I would give it a try for free while I have the chance.

I cannot say I am much of a Golf fan but the game looks like it might be fan to play. My impressions of the game are positive and I have enjoyed my time experiencing this not golfing simulation game. It is very simple of a game but I find it quite stimulating and relaxing at the same time. In away it reminds me of Lonely Mountains Downhill (both a relaxing and taxingly difficult mountain biking indie game), although with less of the challenge.

This trailer describes A Little Golf Journey as a cosy golfing physics puzzler.


After reaching the third world I decided to retire A Little Golf Journey.

While it was entertaining I was not getting good enough star ratings on the previous levels to go further in the game.

Maybe I could occasionally go back to the game and see if I could improve my star ratings but I will not have access to the game after my Prime trial ends (because the game is on the streaming service Luna).

I will possibly purchase the game at a later date in a sale and attempt to go further, but for now I am happy to retire the game. It was fun while it lasted.

Completed on 20th July



Played on Xbox One S

Not long after I bought Injustice on the PlayStation 4 for a cheap price I spotted Injustice 2 on the Xbox One brand new for around £8.00 so I decided to buy it and planned to play it after finishing the first game.

Just like the first game it is bonkers over the top superhero fighting although with smoother feeling character movement as the first Injustice was originally released on the PlayStation 3 and is essentially a previous generation title whereas the sequel was released on PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One generation of consoles.

Story Trailer





The story mode was a little longer than the previous game (probably three hours) and this time on certain chapters you can play as either one of two characters which slightly chances some of the interactions with enemies. There are two endings that can be played out depending on which character you choose to play as in the endgame. To pick the other character and see the different ending you have to first have played all the previous chapters with each character, which does not take too long as you can replay chapters that offer two players from the chapter select.

8/10

Completed on 24th July



Played on PC

I signed up to an Amazon Prime trial with a recent order I made so I would receive free delivery - at the time I did not even think about having access to Prime Gaming. I ended up claiming a few games for free that apparently I could keep even when my Prime trial ends.

One of the games on offer was Shredders Revenge which has been in my physical wishlist for a long time so I was quite happy to pick the digital version for free.

I used to be a big fan of the turtles when I was a kid and I cant see I am really a fan of them as an older person anymore, but I have always been a fan of scrolling beat em ups so I had to check this out. I also missed out on a bunch of old turtles beat em ups on the Megadrive and I plan to pick up the retro compilation one day.

Overall I thought the game was a fun Side Scrolling Beat Em Up, but I did not quite enjoy it as much as another Dotemu release in the same genre - Streets of Rage 4.

Playing through Shredders Revenge has made me curious to revisit those live action turtle films that featured Vanilla Ice. I barely remember anything about those films and I would like to rewatch them to see if I remember anything from my original viewings.

7/10


Completed on 25th July




Played on PC

Another fun Tomb Raider level (TRLE) which can be found on the Tomb Raider Customs website and this level was apparently inspired by Daggerfall (The second Elder Scrolls Videogame). I have never played Daggerfall and only briefly attempted the fifth Elder Scrolls entry - Skyrim (The VR version). I enjoyed the level and managed to complete it in around 3 hours and 44 minutes - more experienced TRLE players may take only 1 to 2 hours (judging by some of the reviews on the site).


More information on the level can be found here.

8/10

Retired on 26th July

The Darkside Detective: A Fumble in the Dark


Played on PS5

Note: I played the sequel on the Super Rare published physical version which also comes with the first game (which I have previously completed on the Nintendo Switch).


Well, that was a disappointment after I enjoyed the first game a few years ago. I am not a huge Point and Click fan but I have played a few throughout the years (e.g. Broken Sword, Monkey Island etc).

The sequel just seems to be so tedious compared to the first game and I wanted to continue my time in the world of Twin Lakes, but it just feels like it lacks the charm of the first game.

Also the game has some odd dialogue shoe horned in (because current day weird Twitter stuff = the real world).

Retired on 27th July



Played on PS5 via PS4 Backwards Compatibility

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night started life as a kickstarter project from the man responsible behind the popular Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. 

Bloodstained is a Metroidvania genre game which is a term that has been used to described a structure of game design that the Super Metroid series and some Castlevania titles (such as Symphony of the Night) have popularised.

I could just not find myself enjoying Bloodstained. Combat and character movement felt just a little too clunky for me.

I find it very strange that I did not enjoy this game as the Metroidvania genre is one of my favourite type of games to explore. Some of my favourite games are Metroidvania games such as Super Metroid, both Ori games and the fan remake of Metroid II (Another Metroid 2 Remake or AM2R).

Perhaps a reason I did not enjoy Ritual of the Night is because maybe that it leaned more into the Castlevania side rather than the Metroid side. 

I admit I have only played a little of bit of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and I was never really been a fan of the combat of the Castlevania games and the more stat heavy RPG approach to items and weapons (which is strange because I do like stats - I mean that is part of the reason I am updating this blog to record stats on game completion/retirement for each month of the year).

Despite my previous experience with Symphony of the Night I thought I would give Bloodstained a chance when I saw the physical game for around £3.00 on the Gamecollection.net website. Well, I least I gave it a chance without overspending!

Retired on 28th July

Republique

Played on PS5 via PS4 Backwards Compatibility

Republique is actually a game I bought a few years ago, tried for a little while but eventually gave up on the title.

Usually if I 'retire' a game I will sell it, but with Republique I thought I would keep the game and attempt to try again in the future as I felt that there were some aspects that I liked. I was thinking that maybe I was just not in the mood for it and would attempt to play it at another time.

Well, with my second attempt at Republique and I still am struggling to find any enjoyment. It is strange because I like stealth games and adding hacking mechanics to the gameplay seems like a winner to me, but this PlayStation 4 game does not gel with me. Maybe it has something to do with this game being originally designed for touch screen controls and maybe the translation to traditional controls just does not work.

I think it is safe for me to say that I just do not enjoy the game - so with some disappointment I add Republique to my retirement list .... again.

Popular Posts