Battling the Backlog 2024 - June

June Backlog

Another month, another chance to BATTLE THE BACKLOG!!!  

Will I win? 

Is there such a thing as winning when it comes to the subject of the backlog?

How many games from my backlog have I been able to complete in the month of June?

Did I enjoy them all?

Did I end up retiring any of the games in my backlog?

Did I finish every game that I started in the month of June?

Games Mentioned:

  • Tormented Souls
  • Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy
  • The Callisto Protocol
  • The Callisto Protocol: Final Transmission
  • Guilty Gear: Strive

Completed on June 7th 



Played on: PS5

Felt like playing Resident Evil Remake with a sprinkling of classic Silent Hill.

Has limited saving like Resident Evil - you collect tapes which is the games version of Ink Ribbons. I like the limited saving but at first I thought I was not going to get very far as you only collect one tape at a time (maybe two if you are lucky), but in the final third of the game I found that the tapes were more generous - near the end of the game I had about 5 or 6 tapes I could use to save.

8/10


Gameplay



Highlighted Track: Father




Avalanche Reviews: TS Modern Survival Horror Masterpiece



Completed on June 15th 


Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection -  Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (one half of a two game collection)


Played on: PS5 (Played PS4 version through backwards compatibility) 

I am not a huge Stars Wars fan but like the first 3 movies. Do like playing some Star Wars games, but just could not get into these games.

I played the first 5 missions of the first game in the collection and I did enjoy my time but after a while the missions seemed to become rather repetitive with not much variation so I decided to retire the game.

But I decided to revisit the first Jedi Knight and have since taken the collection out of retirement. I have been finding the game to be not great and not terrible. Sometimes it can be incredibly frustrating (especially with the slippery movement when platforming) but it is compelling enough where I wanted to continue with the game. The save at any time helps with the frustrating points.

When I finally completed the game on the light side I went back to a previous save and completed the final level after the main character decided to join the dark side. It was a nice touch to see the game play out on the last levels via the good and bad sides of the story.

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy completed on 15/06/2024 6.5/10


Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy Review


Highlighted Track: Korriban Dark Explore




That is one game completed from the Star Wars two game collection - Jedi Knight II is the next game to start, but I want to have a break from playing another Star Wars game immediately after completing the first Jedi Knight title. So this collection is not classed as completed until I have finished the second Jedi Knight game. I was hoping to have the Jedi Knight collection fully completed by the end of June, but that not might happen anymore - it depends on how long the next game I choose to play takes me to complete before I go back to the Jedi Knight Collection.


Completed on June 21st 


Played on: PS5



The rather average reviews and some negative response put me off a little, but an Avalanche Reviews video made me want to give the game a chance.





I think many were disappointed that it was not a complete copy of Dead Space.

To me it felt a little like Dead Space but with a Melee twist.

The melee combat reminded me slightly of the Xbox era game called Condemned.

Dead Space mixed with Condemned.

The ending works as a finale but there is a hint of more to come and that is supposedly concluded in the DLC Final Transmission.


8.5/10


Completed on June 24th


Played on: PS5




Now, I do not normally purchase DLC but I enjoyed my time with The Callisto Protocol and happily there was a sale on the DLC at around £4 instead of £12, so I ended up purchasing the DLC.

I enjoyed the DLC overall and it added around 3 hrs 40 mins to the 14ish hours I had already experienced with the main game.

8/10


Retired on June 25th


Played on: PS5 (Downloaded the free PS5 update through the physical PS4 copy)

Not really a fan of Guilty Gear or fighting games (apart from the odd exception) in general, but I saw this game in action and the art looked spectacular - I wanted to control some of that lovely 2D animation.


It has great reviews but this game is just not for me.



Summary

Completed:

Tormented Souls
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
The Callisto Protocol
The Callisto Protocol DLC: Final Transmission

Retired:

Guilty Gear Strive

So for the month of June I managed to complete three full games and 1 DLC .

Is that a lot for one month or not much at all? 

Do I bring shame to fellow gamers by only completing 3 games this month or is 3 games completed in a month seem like I spent way too much time gaming?


Will I be able to complete my main backlog any time soon?


So, how long will it take to finish my planned backlog? Weeks? Months? 1 Year? Two Years? Five Years? 







Comments

Popular Posts