Latest Playthrough 2026: TRLE - Tomb Raider EX Oblivione

Tomb Raider Ex Oblivione (TRLE): - PC

Completed August 24th 2026

10th August 2026

The first level (or prologue) of the game starts out quite familiar as, impressively, the level layout is a lot like the beginning of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - which is (apart from Tomb Raider) one of my favourite games of all time.

So far I have been very impressed by the sheer size of the level layout - it is very fun to platform and make discoveries in the beautiful environments that have been created. 

At this point I have completed 2 levels and I am on the 3rd level.

16th August 2026

At this point I am on a level called the Enchanted Forest and I continue to be surprised at how vast the levels have been. I have been having a great time just exploring the environments.

However, there was one point in the level that I found rather frustrating and that was a timed part - it involved breaking a window and running towards and jumping up on a box to climb into the window. It is not the fact that the section is timed that frustrates me but I think the timer is not quite long enough. I just made that particular timed section and I am not even sure how I achieved it.

EX Oblivione has a nice moving title screen similar to TR 4 and Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb


In this level there has been timed sections, but none of the earlier ones felt as unfair. That is one thing that does frustrate me with some Tomb Raider level editors - some authors put in timed sections that feel too strict and some would benefit with even just a couple more seconds added. As Lara does have a slight delay in her jumping actions (which is fine 9 times out of 10) I think the timed sections are designed for those that have expertise in speed running the classic Tomb Raider games.

To end the Enchanted Forest level you have to find a motorcycle and drive for the last 10 percent and I found that to be quite fun. The problem I had was finding the motorcycle - it is easily missed so the player may not even realise that they need a motorcycle to complete the level. It was by watching a walkthrough that I knew about the motorcycle. 

You have to do some platform manoeuvring to reach the area where the motorcycle is located - this would have been fine for a secret, but not for requiring a key item that is essential for completing the level. I could envision that a number of people may give up on the whole game in frustration. The motorcycle should have been placed in a more easily findable location.

Anyway, despite my issue with the location of the motorcycle I highly enjoyed the level.

18th August 2026

At this point I have started on a level that resembles the Kayak levels seen in Tomb Raider III. It is a short level (at least for this level set), but I find it fun to explore.

I briefly started the next level and it looked to be an on foot exploration level, but quite quickly I discovered a bike and the areas look large and so the bike is very much welcomed. I am looking forward to further discovering the level the next time I play the game.

20th August 2026

I finally finished a very long and open level called Celephais. I mostly enjoyed the level, but I found that there were some frustrating parts when solving some puzzles. Sometimes I would have to pull a lever or jump on certain titles to open a door that could be anywhere in the level and at times it seemed like there was no indication of where the door may be - that was the downside of the vast size of the level meaning too much wandering around looking for an obscure area. 


At one point, strangely, I could only open a gate by using my scope and I had to shoot something hidden off in the distance - I only found this out by searching YouTube to see if somebody had found away past the part I was stuck at. I found a YouTube video of someone streaming the level and his chat told him what to look for - even he seemed puzzled by the design choice. This seemed like something you would have to do to find an obscure secret and not a required action to continue the story.

Despite some of my issues with puzzle design choices of the level I really enjoyed exploring the vastness of the level - the scale was quite impressive comparatively to other TRLE's that I have played in the past.


24th August 2026

On this day I completed Ex Oblivione - and overall I really enjoyed my time with the title. It has some frustrating moments, but overall I would say it is one of the best TRLEs that I have played. 

It had elements from all the classic Tomb Raider games and two choices at the end which was a nice surprise.

Score 8.5/10