Favourite Games of 2013: Number 5 - The Room: Epilogue

 (iOS) (Android)


It may be a little bit of a cheat but I really wanted to include the amazing iOS game, The Room in my 2013 list.

The Room was released in 2012, but an updated version, titled The Room Epilogue, was released in 2013 and it is the 2013 version that I played.  In anticipation for the sequel an epilogue chapter was added to the original version of The Room, continuing the story and acting as set up for The Room 2.

The original Room was voted as the App store game of 2012 and was listed in a number journalist’s personal game of the year lists.  I had heard numerous conversations where people would absolutely praise the game and its brilliance.  The conversations I heard only vaguely described the game as people were unyielding that the even the slightest detail could ruin the experience for those that have not had the chance to engage with The Room.

People saying “just play the game; you really need to experience it for yourself,” just did not entice myself to seek The Room out, I mean a vague description of being in a room with a box did not seem very compelling – that could not be a very good experience - I thought to myself.  Oh boy, was I wrong!

Recently, in anticipation for The Room 2, The Room Epilogue could be downloaded for free on the App store.  So, I thought to myself - I may as well at least attempt it to see what all the fuss is about.   Describing the game as ‘just being in a room with a box in it’ is to incredibly undersell The Room and completely misses the point of the game.

You basically are in one location and are required to solve the many riddles of the box, but the detail contained within is vast (think, the Tardis – more to it than meets the eye).   The touchscreen and tilt controls are surprisingly intuitive and do an excellent job of immersing yourself within the environment, where traditional button controls may actually hamper the experience.  The puzzles are challenging enough to be not too simple, but not too tough to the point of making you feel like an inadequate, drooling simpleton.

The Room is the perfect example ‘not to judge a book by its cover,’ or a game by its initial pretense.   I recommend everyone (game player or not) should at least attempt The Room Epilogue and all I can say to people is what I once heard someone else say: “just play the game; you really need to experience it for yourself.”

As I write this I look at the App store with giddy excitement ready to purchase The Room 2.

Comments

Popular Posts